Tuesday 16 June 2009

Flag Hoisting


We have been always seeing the flag been hoisted on two main occasions, it may be either the Independence day or the Republic Day. As a school going kid, I remember going to school early morning for the Flag Hoisting and then doing the parade in the school ground. Other thing which I used to like is, the Republic Day parade which happens near the Red Fort. The full display of the artillary and the Soilders marching their way to glory, its a spectacular view. The other ocassions where I saw the Tri color being hoisted were at the Olympic Games.

Now, I am writing about this because, few days back I was just going through my pictures, which were clicked during last visit to London during 2007. During my stay there I visited many places, but this one place was special. Every Indian must be aware of this place, its the Mecca of Cricket, yes The Lord's Stadium.
The ground was small to what I have imagined, but the field was lush Green, resembling a green carpet being layed down there. The stand where Ganguly removed his Shirt imitating Flintoff. Its really amazing to be there in the stands, looking over to the pitch.It was a guided tour and as we were going towards the Media Centre, there were flags of all the cricket playing countries being hoisted. I was looking for the Tricolor, but couldn't find it anywhere, it was then I saw that our Flag was lying down and I guess it was the knot which wasn't strong enough to withstand the blowing wind.

That was the first time I hoisted the flag, and that too at The Lord's, it was a proud feelingfor me, I had goosebumps all over me and couldn't beleive myself that I was actually hoisting our Tricolor. I really felt proud of myself with the oppurtunity I got, because how many of us have actually hoisted the flag, there would be hardly anyone except the politicians, mostly who do it without the proudness in them, others are the school Principal's, which I am not sure how they must be feeling and few includes the armed force personals who hoist it with proudness. And I was proud of myself and thank god for granting me the chance, which may be once a life time.

Jay Hind.

1 comment:

  1. hey brother... reading this incident itself is giving me goosebumps.... sahi hai.... it rare for one to host national flag and its rarest of that to host in Lords (England)

    Cheers on hosting the flag that to in London.

    /Anish

    ReplyDelete